History of La Porte
La Porte in French means “The door”. Its name is given as such because it is like a doorway to the mainland and connects Lake Michigan with many of the inland cities. It is a small county with an estimated population of 22,053 and comprises of many small towns and two main cities La Porte and Michigan City. It comes under the state of Indiana in the United States of America.
La Porte is located in the northwestern side of the state of Indiana. The first settlement in La Porte was reported in the year of 1832. Blair Milo is the current mayor of the county of La Porte. He was elected in the year 2011 when he was 28 years old and consequently became the youngest mayor to be elected as mayor.
Abraham .P Andrew is reported to be one of the first purchasers of a site in La Porte county. He purchased a site in the year 1832 and constructed a saw mill. It is said that the present courthouse square was the witness to the first settler who built a cabin just north of it. Ten years later the government recognized the importance of the land and built a federal land office. Consequently many settlers arrived in search of land and bought sites from the government. People from surrounding counties came in numbers and settled here.
Two years after the establishment of a federal land office the settlement had grown immensely and it was eventually decided that it would become a town. In years to come La Porte was developed into a functional and efficient town. In 18 36 the first newspaper was published and a medical school was formed in 1842. This medical school is the La Porte medical school. In 1852 La Porte had become a city chartered by the Indiana general Assembly because of its fast growing population and its fast development. La Porte attracted many industries in the subsequent years one of which became the Advance-rudely company. This company developed the oil pull tractor engine which took agriculture to a new horizon. It became the largest company in Laporte in the years to come.
A local resident Sebastian Lay plant a number of maple trees along the Indiana Avenue and the Michigan Avenue. As a result of this Laporte came to be known as the maple city. Today the Indiana Avenue and the Michigan Avenue have become historic sites with many occupants coming in subsequently and building great and historic architectures. Between 1892 and 1894 one of La Porte’s best known structures, the third and current courthouse was built with red sandstone.
In 1881 Belle Guinness moved to the United States of America in search of money. She was a resident of Laporte and she is known for serially killing many men and her daughter and children in the area. Remains of over forty men were found on her property.
La Porte was also the eastern terminus of the ambitious high-speed Chicago-New York electric airline railroad.